Thursday, June 2, 2016

Vigilant Volunteers Extinguish House Fire

On Sunday, May 29, 2016, around 8:20 PM the Vigilant Fire Company was notified of a reported house fire in the Village of Great Neck Estates.  Immediately, upon the receipt of the initial phone call, First Assistant Chief, Josh Charry began responding from the fire house.  Upon arrival at the fire scene, about 1 mile from the fire house, Chief Charry transmitted the “Signal 10 – working fire”. On the transmission of the working fire, 2 engines and 1 ladder from the Alert Fire Company and a FAST team (firefighter assistance) from the Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department were requested to respond mutual aid to the fire.



Moments later, Chief of Department Josh Forst arrived on scene and assumed command. Chief Forst reported that he had a large house with a fire on the first floor. Minutes after that, Engine 8314 driven by 2nd Lieutenant Oginski was on scene. A primary attack line was stretched from the engine to extinguish the first floor fire.  Quick work by Assistant Chief Charry, EMS Lieutenant Behnam, Engineer Ramsingh and Probationary firefighter Shavolian extinguished a great deal of the fire to reduce extension and damage to the rest of the home. The family was home at the time, their smoke alarm alerted them to the fire and they were able to remove themselves from the house quickly before the fire spread up the interior stairs.
Ladder 8312 driven by firefighter Monahemi arrived as an additional precautionary hand line was being stretched. Firefighter Monahemi at the direction of Chief Forst placed the aerial ladder into the attic window to ensure a safe egress for any members operating on the upper floor and effect rescue of civilians if necessary. Because of the large floor plan of the home a tremendous amount of smoke needed to be vented from the structure. While this took some extra time, the fire was placed under control about 1 hour after the initial alarm. There were no injuries reported to firefighters or civilians at the scene, however sadly, 2 domestic pets succumbed to the smoke and toxins in the home. The Nassau County Fire Marshal determined that the fire was unfortunately caused by an overloaded electric strip running among other things a portable air conditioner.




All units were back in service just after midnight on Monday. And the dedicated volunteers were ready for the 2016 Memorial Day Parade in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment