|Vigilant Fire Suppression units arrived |
within minutes of the alarm.
On Thursday, January 19, 2012, at approximately 1:10 PM the Vigilant Fire Company was alerted for a person having a seizure at 34 Middle Neck Road, Bruce’s Bakery in Great Neck Plaza. Upon arrival Captain Justin Sachmechi & EMS Corporal Joe Oginski found the person unconscious in the basement. Simultaneously, they noted elevated carbon monoxide levels on their CO meters. A carbon monoxide meter is carried into every call that the firefighters and EMTs respond to. Immediately, Captain Sachmechi requested that a General Alarm be transmitted to investigate the hazardous material that was found. While the fire suppression apparatus was responding, Captain Sachmechi and Corporal Oginski assisted by EMT Ken Bleck and others from the store evacuated the store and removed the unconscious victim to the street level.
Engine 8314, Rescue 834 & Ladder 8312 responded, under the command of Second Assistant Chief Josh Charry. The building was evacuated and searched for other victims, the gas supply to the building was shut off by National Grid and the building was thoroughly ventilated until all there was no residual carbon monoxide. Adjacent buildings were also checked for the odorless, colorless, poisonous gas.
Three people were transported to local hospitals for evaluation. 9 others were treated at the scene and released. Mutual aid was provided by the Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department’s ambulance unit & Nassau County Police Department Ambulance Bureau. All units returned to service at 2:27 PM.
|Vigilant Ex-chief and Engineer Ed Canfield (left)|
and Assistant Foreman Brian Morris at the
scene of the incident.
This incident is the 2nd in the last 10 days where multiple people were sickened by carbon monoxide. It should serve as a good reminder to service your heating equipment annually and ensure that you have working carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in your home monthly.